Exercise Physiology in Scoresby
What is Exercise Physiology?
Exercise Physiologists specialize in prescribing exercise therapy and lifestyle interventions as the main treatment method in the prevention, treatment and management of chronic diseases and or injuries.
Benefits of Exercise Physiology
An Exercise Physiologist treats many conditions including cardiopulmonary, metabolic, musculoskeletal, neurological and many other issues. Read below for more details.
Are you living with a chronic condition or injury that is preventing you from exercising? Contact our Exercise Physiologist near Scoresby today who can help you develop and implement an exercise regime specifically tailored to you. We will have you moving and feeling better in no time.
What is an Accredited Exercise Physiologist (AEP)?
Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEPs) are recognised Allied Health professionals with a minimum of 4.5 years of tertiary education.
Accredited Exercise Physiologists aim to
1. Manage existing chronic conditions.
2. Prevent chronic conditions and injury through adherence to a targeted exercise regime.
3. Educate and Empower individuals with knowledge and skills that will assist them to independently follow and exercise regime and healthy lifestyle.
Exercise Physiologists assist in the treatment of the following conditions:
- Cardiopulmonary: hypertension, coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease, myocardial infarction, chronic heart failure, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cystic fibrosis.
- Metabolic: obesity, dyslipidaemias, impaired glucose tolerance and Type I & II diabetes mellitus.
- Musculoskeletal: arthritis, osteoporosis, sub-acute and chronic specific and non-specific musculoskeletal pain/injuries
- Neurological: stroke, spinal cord injury, acquired brain injury, Parkinson’s Disease, multiple sclerosis, Huntington’s disease, cerebral palsy and dementia
- Other: can be beneficial for cancer, mental illness, balance deficits, pre-habilitation and rehabilitation for joint replacements, pregnancy and post-partum.
If you are unsure as to whether an AEP consultation is appropriate for you, give the clinic a call and we can discuss your options.
What makes Accredited Exercise Physiologists different to other Exercise Professionals?
- Tertiary Educated
- Undertake strict, ongoing accreditation requirements
- They are eligible to register with Medicare Australia, the Department of Veterans Affairs, Work Cover, TAC and are recognised by most private health insurers
- Able to prescribe exercise for clinical and healthy populations ranging from those who want to improve their health and wellbeing to those who are living with chronic disease or injury
- Ability to liaise closely with other Allied Health professionals and Medical Practitioners
What to expect
During your first session with an AEP a comprehensive assessment will be undertaken in order to develop an exercise plan based on your unique requirements. During this session you will discuss past and current health concerns, dislikes/likes in regards to exercising and most importantly your GOALS! After this session an AEP will provide you with a plan of ACTION.
Implementing Your Plan
The next step is undertaking the plan set out by the AEP. This may be home-based exercise, exercises at the clinic or a group-based exercise program. The exercise physiologist at Hills Physio Scoresby will tailor a plan based on your goals and lifestyle.
Check-ups and tracking
This is where you get to catch up with your AEP to monitor and check out how you are tracking. This is where new goals/challenges can be set with changes being made to the exercise program if necessary. Physical and subjective measures may also be taken to monitor current health status with previously established results.
Teaching you how to take control of your health
Throughout the entire process, an AEP will work with you to implement a number of strategies to help you manage your health independently in the future.
For more information about Exercise Physiology, visit Allied Health Professions Australia. To book your appointment with an Accredited Exercise Physiologist at our Scoresby location, please click here.